Sunday, June 17, 2012

My dad :)

This is something I wrote about my dad when I was 14, I think. Just wanted to share this with you guys.. And here it goes.




I can still see him walking towards me with twinkling eyes and a huge smile fixed on his face.His arms are open as if he wants to embrace me in a tight hug.I run into his arms to hug him back when suddenly he vanishes into thin air.I look around frantically but i can't see him.I realised that i had been imagining things again...

Im talking about my role model,my dad Pir Mohyuddin Mutahir Ahmad who was born in 1955 and died in 2004 which seems like just yesterday...or was it a few years ago???i can't remember....but what i do remember is him....he and his kind heart.My dad was such a pleasant personality that he can't be forgotten in second....it would take centuries to forget it but i doubt it.Anyone who talked to him for even the first time fell at ease with him.Guests and friends were welcomed with open arms and cheerful smiles and were offered everything that was present in the home.Some were even taken out for sightseeing.Maybe that is why our home became such a popular meeting place for people.

Mark my words:i dont think or rather i dont KNOW that anyone who knew him could say even a word against him.He was such a kind person that he could not even hurt a fly even if he wanted to.His colleagues and friends had a high opinion of him,his relatives adored him and his family.....they just could not live without him.He was helpful to everyone who wanted help,whether it be relatives,neighbours,or even the beggars in the street.He had a gift that few people have:kindness and that is what made him such a pleasant personality and made people adore him.

He loved his family with all his heart.We would always be waiting for him to come home from work so that we could spend some quality time together with him.He was my constant advisor.He helped me in mty studies especially computers.We played badminton and went hiking together.As soon as he came home i used to tell him about how my day went and what i did at school.I also used to share secrets with him.Sometimes Mom would get mad at both of us and it always used to be us against her=p...In short he had all the qualities that a best friend could have.

My Dad was at a constant war with lies.One day,as usual,he asked me if i had finished my homework or not.I didnt want to say that i hadnt finished my homework because that would mean missing my favourite show.So i told him that i hadnt got any homework.But he immediately knew that i was lying because i was looking down instead of in his eyes.So he said that are you lying.i asked how did you know?He never gave me and answer but he made me realised what wrong i had done and i vowed never to lie again.

When we shifted from Rawalpindi to Islamabad,i had mixed feelings.i was sad at leaving my old home which had swings but at the same time i was excited also because i was moving to a new place and new surroundings.Dad knew that i was sad at leaving my old home because he knew how much time i spent on the swings.So he kept on trying to make me feel excited about our new home and told me that i would have my own room and things like that.He struggled to see me happy and his hard work did pay off....because as soon as we shifted i was totally excited about me new room and almost forgot about the swings in my old home=p

A couple of years back,Phupho and Mamoon went to Murree and we went too.They had planned to stay the night but we hadnt as Dadi was alone at home.However,Phupho wanted us to stay till dinner at least.She insisted so much that we decided to stay for at least dinner.Dad asked me to call Dadi and tell her that we will be having dinner in Murree and so we would come back late.He did not want to do it himself because he knew that she would get angry at him.So i was told to call her and when i told her that we would be eating dinner here she said that she wouldnt eat too unless we were here.When Dad heard this,he told Phupho that they were going to have dinner with Dadi because she wanted us to have dinner with her.

I used to have a very bad temper and when something went against my will and wishes, i would go all angry and go upstairs and stomp my feet while doing so.At this time Dad would alawys say that:"Saniya!Thora aur zor se maro paoon.Haan ab sahe ai!".This would make me even more angry but when i used to sit down and think over it,i used to laugh over it for hours.

My Dad was a software engineer and was a great help to me in computers because i hated the subject and only when Dad taught me did i understand it.He would give me lectures and would solve all my problems .One day i came to him with another problem of mine regarding softwares and when he saw my notes,he told me that they were not correct.I told him that my teacher had given those notes.He told me to tell him that these are wrong and the notes that i am going to give you now are correct and you may show them to your teacher if you like.So the next day i went to my teacher and told him that your notes were wrong and these notes are right and they have been given to me by my father.So he did some research on it and it was proved that the notes my teacher provided were wrong.When i told my Dad about it he was pleased at himself for proving a teacher wrong!!!

Dad loved hiking and used to go to hiking almost everyday.He also insisted that i should also come with him.When i asked him why do i have to go too?He said that because i was getting fat!!!!=DSo i went with him and although the first few days were a nightmare for me as i had no stamina but after some days i started to have fun.When i got used to it,we even used to race back down.We even went on full day hiking trips with my cousins and vbrothers and it was so much fun even though when we came back,we used to be totally wrecked.Me,Bilal and Dad also used to play badminton almost every night after he came back from work.Me and Dad used to be on one side and Bilal used to be on the other side.Dad always tried to distract Bilal by making him look here and there and used to win.(hehe)

As i look through the pictures,i refresh my memories and i think oh that is when me and Dad went on hiking or that is when we celebrated my birthday.Although he has been dead for almost 3 years but i still cant get over it.In the beginning i literally waited for Dad to come home from work so that we could play badminton together.But slowly,i stepped back into reality.I realised that neither my tears nor my hopes were going to make him come back.After this realisation, slowly the burning pain of the tragedy came to a manageable level but it never left me.The wounds heal but the scars remain.

There are times when i miss him so much that i cant resist crying.There are also times when i refuse to accept that Dad is no longer with us anymore.Many a times,i just wished that this was all i nightmare and i would wake up with Dad amongst us.But i know that this wish of mine can never come true....But i wish that wherever he is,he is happy!


When i was a baby
he walked ahead of me
just to set an example

When i was a teenager
he walked behind me
to catch me when i fell

When i will be an adult
me and my memories with him will walk together....

No comments:

Post a Comment