Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My life as a poor boy




My name is Saif. I'm 10 years old and the eldest in my family. Ever since I was 5, I wanted to study, and grow up and earn money for me and my family. I belong to a poor family, and I have 7 siblings. My mother works all day, in separate houses, trying to earn as much money as she possibly can, so that none of us would sleep hungry, as we have often had to do in the past. My father, on the other hand, is always lazy and drunk and never goes to work. He does not believe that he needs to work when there are so many people in the house who could go to work instead of him. So he stays home and drinks all day. 

My father is addicted to both gambling and alcohol. Whenever my mother comes from work with some money in her hands, he snatches it from her and tells her to cook something for him. When she timidly tells him there is no food in the house, and that this money is supposed to bring home basic necessities, he slaps her hard across the face and tells her to never answer back to him, no matter what. With a bleeding face, my mother goes off in the kitchen, trying to make something for my father, and since there's not enough food for us, all of my siblings and I go to sleep hungry. 

When I was 5, I noticed children my age going to the nearby school to educate themselves. I found this highly interesting and I told my mother I wanted to learn to read and write as well. She sighed and I knew even before she said it, that I would never be able to go to school because we don't have enough money and even if my mother puts together money by working even more, my father will snatch it all away from her. 

When I was 8, my father came home one day, sober for a change, and told me he had big plans for me and that he wanted to show something to me. On going outside, I saw a rickshaw standing in front of our house, completely empty. I looked back to my father in confusion. A smile broke on his face and he said - this is for you, Saif. I will teach you how to ride it, and once you're independent enough to ride it on your own, you should go to the nearby cities and offer your services to people who need to travel. You'll be another source of income for our family. With that, he walked back into the house, leaving me alone, staring at the rickshaw with utter confusion and disgust. 

I sit down besides the rickshaw. I wanted to learn how to read, I wanted to learn how to write. I wanted to be educated enough so that I could get a well paid job and free my mother from my father. I wanted to be someone who wanted to make an impression on the world. And instead, I got this? This rickshaw to earn money? I'm eight, I should be in school right now. 

Two years have passed since then. I wake up early in the morning, go around different cities, take passengers to their destinations. In the two years since, my father has taught some of my younger siblings how to beg. He takes them to busy intersections and sends them towards cars and pedestrians, forcing them to throw their respect on the ground, and beg for money, while he watches from a safe distance. As soon as it's evening, the kids start to turn towards home, and my father catches up to them and takes all their money away from them, and spends it all on gambling and alcohol that same night. This has now become a routine for him. 

My mother on the other hand is old now and can not work as efficiently as she used to. She has back problems and sometimes, sharp pains shoot up in her leg, causing her to stay in bed for days. When this happens, obviously she has to take a day or two off work, and my father hates that because she's not bringing home as much money as she used to. So, he beats her. Sometimes, he uses his hand. Other times, it's a stick. When he's horribly angry, it's a brick. He almost broke her back, this one time. 

As for me, I'm a 10 year old with ambitions to study and a rickshaw to drive. But even I have found a way. From all the money that I earn, I give 70% to my dad, and hide the other 30% safely in a place which I can not disclose here, for fear of father finding out. When I have enough money, I will join a madrassa or a school. We'll see what happens from there on out. And when I have enough money after school, and after getting a job, I will rescue my parents and siblings from my father. That's my promise to you. 


Disclaimer -This is a work of fiction for all intents and puposes. 

2 comments:

  1. Very good short story - and really happy after reading the disclaimer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well written...portrays two of the biggest moral issues our country faces 1)Child Labor 2) Domestic Violence

    ReplyDelete